Quinoa is a versatile, protein-packed grain that has become a staple in many households, especially for vegans and vegetarians. It’s easy to cook, delicious to eat, and is a great addition to salads. In this article, we will share a delicious vegan quinoa salad recipe that is perfect for a healthy lunch or dinner.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, diced
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1 small cucumber, diced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/2 cup chopped dried apricots
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse quinoa in a fine-mesh strainer. In a medium pot, bring 2 cups of water to a boil. Add quinoa and stir. Cover the pot and reduce the heat to low. Cook for 15-20 minutes until all water is absorbed.
- Fluff the quinoa with a fork and let it cool.
- In a large bowl, combine the cooked quinoa, chickpeas, diced peppers, onion, and cucumber.
- Add the chopped fresh parsley, mint, cilantro, and dried apricots to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, cumin, salt, and pepper. Pour the dressing over the quinoa salad and toss gently to combine.
- Serve the quinoa salad at room temperature or chilled.
This vegan quinoa salad recipe is not only delicious but also packed with nutrients. Here is the nutrition information per serving:
- Calories: 306
- Total Fat: 12 g
- Saturated Fat: 2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
- Sodium: 223 mg
- Total Carbohydrates: 44 g
- Dietary Fiber: 8 g
- Sugars: 11 g
- Protein: 9 g
- High in Protein: Quinoa is a great source of plant-based protein, with 9 grams of protein per cup. Adding chickpeas to the salad boosts the protein content even more.
- Rich in Fiber: Quinoa is high in fiber, which promotes digestive health and can help to reduce the risk of chronic diseases like heart disease and diabetes.
- Packed with Vitamins and Minerals: Quinoa is a good source of vitamins and minerals like iron, magnesium, and zinc. These nutrients are essential for maintaining good health and preventing nutrient deficiencies.
- Lowers Cholesterol: Quinoa is rich in soluble fiber, which has been shown to lower cholesterol levels and reduce the risk of heart disease.
- Anti-inflammatory: The herbs and spices in the salad, such as cilantro and cumin, have anti-inflammatory properties that can help to reduce inflammation in the body.
In conclusion, this vegan quinoa salad recipe is a nutritious and delicious way to add more plant-based protein to your diet. With its mix of flavors and textures, it’s a perfect meal for any occasion. So, next time you’re looking for a healthy and satisfying lunch or dinner option, give this recipe a try!