We protect our heart by getting better sleep, exercising, and finding ways to reduce stress. Another essential way is through nutrition, which plays a huge role in promoting a healthy, active heart.
From my diverse experience in the culinary world, I discovered that heart healthy recipes can be the opposite of boring. Not only that, but also quick to make.
In this article, I will share the importance of including meals that improve your heart’s health and give you some of the easiest recipes to try.
5 reasons why heart healthy meals are important:
- Reduces bad cholesterol (low density lipoprotein), which clogs the arteries that deliver blood from the heart to the rest of the body
- Increases good cholesterol (high density lipoprotein), which lowers the risk of heart diseases and strokes.
- Regulates blood pressure, allowing the heart to work at a steady rate.
- Weight management is also a plus when consuming healthy foods, as it gives more space for the heart to perform normally.
- Increases energy throughout the day, which is always a plus.
Go to heart healthy recipes:
1. Strawberry spinach salad:
- 1 tbsp chopped onion
- 3 cups spinach
- Half cup strawberries
- 2 tbs vinegar
- ¼ avocado
- 2 tbsp walnuts
How to make:
Add spinach, onion and strawberries. Then drizzle the vinegar anc top with avocado and walnuts.
2. Stuffed sweet potato with hummus dressing
- Large sweet potato
- 1 cup black beans
- 2 tbsp water
- ¼ cup hummus
- ¾ cup chopped kale
How to make :
- Prick the sweet potato with a fork and microwave for 7 to 10 minutes
- Place kale in a saucepan and cook over medium heat while stirring. Then add beans and stir occasionally until the mixture is steaming hot.
- Split the potato open and add the kale and beans.
- Mix hummus with water then drizzle over the sweet potato.
Including meals and nutrients that support your heart’s health will be a valuable addition to not only your heart, but also for the rest of your body. By time, you will start noticing a positive shift in your overall health and perhaps your blood tests will greatly improve.